The Holy Ghost Will… Part 4
What would a person need, to be protected from the results of living a normal life?
So I say, let the Holy Spirit…
“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves [what’s normal].” – bible.com/116/gal.5.16.nlt
I must stop with the words “Holy Spirit” because every time I see that word ‘holy’ it’s the same definition that I used to define the calling that’s been on our life for the message of no-longer-common.
“Holy” means different, unique, set apart, not like anyone else, the opposite of common. It’s how our website got it’s name, no-longer-common.
Galatians 5:16 says, “So I say let the ‘Holy Spirit’” (or the spirit that makes you something other than common and ordinary), let that spirit guide you into a different type of life, different from what you would naturally experience. We have a force available that can be a guide for our lives. But guide us away from what? What’s so bad about having a normal life? Great question because the experiences of living a normal life go overlooked because they are normal.
The 13 Results Normal People Are Sure To Experience
“When you follow the desires of your sinful nature [do what comes naturally], the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God [what uncommon people inherit].” – bible.com/116/gal.5.19-21.nlt
The results you get when the spirit isn’t with you:
- Sexual immorality – abusing sex. Any time you use something in ways it was not intended is called abuse. Sex has to be the most abused activity on the planet. Have you ever heard of a spouse or partner who’s ever had sexual relations with another person of the opposite sex or same sex? Yes. It’s pretty common. Have you ever heard of children performing sexual acts? How about employees being preyed upon for sexual favors? How about teachers with students? The answer is yes and and the impacting part of it all, it’s a normal occurrence. There’s only one force that can fight against this…may The Spirit be with you!
- Impurity – when your purity has been impaired. Even though your intentions are to do good, you end up doing what’s not. A person who is impure is just a person who’s been contaminated. We’ve all been contaminated with “normal”. Do you know anyone who seeks lustful pleasures? People who say it makes me feel good? It’s not hurting anyone? Impurity is when you hide the real you by wearing a mask to cover or hide what you think are flaws.
- Idolatry – worshipping things that don’t have the ability to be God in your life. That’s your money, that’s your job, that’s your resources. Anything that can bring you a sense of security other than God is an idol. An idol is anything, or person you hold or esteem higher than you do God.
- Sorcery – believing in things that really can’t change your situation but yet you’re giving more credit to that than to our Father who is in heaven. You might not see this but placing faith in your doctor for healing is sorcery. Doctors don’t heal they medicate and aid the healing process at best. Sorcery is you placing hope in something that can only let you down.
- Hostility – being hostile, aggravated and angry with those around us. Road rage is a perfect example. Being upset and hostile with the people that you work with because you’re just having a bad day. You see all these things in common human beings. Quarreling and making arguments with people for no reason at all.
- Jealousy – thinking someone has been unfaithful with no real evidence. Do you know that person who lives in what I call make-believe land? They make it a habit of thinking the worst of their spouse, partner, friend and family. I would say don’t worry about this feeling because it’s normal. But because it’s normal is the very reason you must worry about it.
- Outburst of anger – being angry with someone for no reason at all and having outrageous outward display of emotion. Do you know people who go off for no reason? There’s this show called Bridezillas and each time I see the commercials, it reminds me of how common it is for people to have fits of rage because they can’t get their way. This too is “common”.
- Selfish ambitions- thinking only of what promotes me. Selfish ambitions ignore what promotes the team, or the family, or my spouse, my boss, my peers, my church, or my friends. Do you know someone like this? A person who can only see themselves? I’m only going to think about me, me, me, me, me. You may have been thinking it already, but this also is very common.
- Dissension – coming up with ways to keep others down. Do you know people whose sole job in life is to put others down? They somehow find ways to put their foot on the neck of another human-being. You can even see this quite often on social media networks like Facebook. It’s very popular which means it’s common.
- Division – not a part of the team. I’m just going to do my own thing. It’s kind of like being a basketball player and you’re going to be a ball-hog as they call it. Just give me the ball and I’ll do something with it. A team made up of divided players is the team that doesn’t succeed. If you haven’t notice most teams are this way and don’t succeed because most teams are average at best.
- Envy – wanting the things someone else has just because you don’t have them. Do you know anyone who has a problem with someone else simply because that person desires what another person has? It’s normal…and there’s only one force that can combat such feels – The Spirit.
- Drunkenness – over indulging in the things that I shouldn’t consume in excess. Whether it’s that chocolate, alcohol, smoking, whatever that is… Eating. Drinking. Watching. Medicating. When you overindulge it creates problems. Too much orange juice for that matter can have a bad impact. Too many carbonated drinks. You might not be aware of this, but drunkenness might be the most common of these normal experiences. Normal doesn’t know when enough is enough.
- Wild parties – social gatherings that get out of control. Most people want to know how can I get in trouble by partying? Just to clarify, it says “wild” parties, the ones that you shouldn’t be involved or those that get out of control. In our blended family, we can tell you stories about a couple of our children’s college parties with their friends that got out of control. This common experience led to several common results like eviction and expulsion. These wild parties changed the direction of many lives. It’s a common outcome that happens over and over again.
Identifying these 13 experiences brings me joy in my fight against ordinary. I believe every man, woman and child doesn’t have to settle for what’s no longer enough, ordinary.
Do you really want these common experiences to dominate your life? I’m aware that you’ve not given much thought to these experiences, but that’s exactly why they cause so many problems. And there’s only one force that can keep these experiences in check. It’s the “Holy” Spirit; may The Spirit be with you. Holy is not what you think!